Having grown up a stone's throw from Philadelphia, the Mummer's Parade is a BIG DEAL here on New Year's Day. Mummery started in Philly around the turn of the last century and has taken on a life of its own. They ring in the new year like no other--lots of sequins, lots of ostrich feathers, lots of bright colors, tons of gold spray paint, and a BIG celebration on Two Street. My dad and uncle marched up Broad Street with our hometown band (Broomall, from here in South Jersey) when they were in high school, and I've had several friends who've marched for years in various groups. I still have one of dad's old costumes--nearly 50 years old now!--and that brings me to today's POTD.
Here's the hat, in all its gaudy glory. (I think the costume still fits me, too. Maybe that'll be a post for later in the year! lol) Don'tcha love that bird?

Tech info (both pics): Rebel XT, 18-55mm (at 33mm), 1/200, f/4.5, 100 ISO, flash.
If you ever get the chance to visit Philadelphia for New Year's, DO IT! Otherwise, live vicariously at
http://mummers.com/.
Happy New Year!
2 comments:
Thanks for the history on this. As a recent transplant to Philly, I had heard about this, but not had any idea what it was. Thankfully (sad to say) we missed the traffic associated with it as I took two of my girls to High School Musical on ice today. I will have to plan to see the parade one year, though. Sounds like fun!
Love the hat! Perhaps we can use that as a starting point for your bridal shower hat. How mummerific that would be!! :) Looking forward to the sight of you in the full garb...
Post a Comment