Saturday, March 14, 2009

Happy Pi Day!

I'm a math teacher, so I'm very familiar with Pi, which you might remember is the ratio of a circle's circumference to it's diameter, or about 3.14 Today, March 14 (3/14) is Pi Day (ok, it's a Hallmark Holiday if ever there was one, but we math geeks don't have many other things to celebrate!) In my classroom all week, we celebrated round things, culminating with a feast of circular food (I used to only allow pie, but have since expanded the allowed items because one can only eat so much pie). I splurged and bought an apron this year, especially for My Holiday, which I wore while serving mathy-goodness to my students. Check out mathematicianspictures.com for more Pi wear.

(This is my DH modeling.)


If you missed the celebration today, don't worry: Pi Approximation Day is July 22 (because the fraction approximation of pi is 22/7). I'll remind you as we get closer. ;)

9 comments:

Jodie said...

Very cool! great apron! I bet that your students had a great week and enjoyed the food!

pat said...

What a fun way to get the kids to learn about pi! Very creative.

Anonymous said...

I like math, and that is a great way to make students interested!

shirley said...

Alright! I love Pi day - we ate several pies this week. Math geeks unite!

Reds said...

Didn't know there was a Pi day - happy pi day! :)

Linnao said...

Pi day, that is so cool!!

Courtney said...

i guess technically, march 14 is a pi approximation day, too :-) great... now the US and Europe are equal again. we'll celebrate our 22/7 and you celebrate your 3.14 :-)

Suzy said...

Very cool and what a fun way to get students interested! Cool apron to!

CRS said...

It is such a bummer that we are no longer allowed to bring ANY kind of food into our classrooms... not even for cool stuff like this. But I'm glad you were able to!