Last night, I attended my future-nephew's birthday party with his friends from school. They had it at a batting practice facility and his mom asked me to take pics so she could keep an eye on everything else. We had a great time--kids and adults--and I learned a few things. 1) Indoor flourescent/halogen/sports lighting is TOUGH. I did however manage to shoot with only available light (even though I dragged the flash around 1/2 the night!). 2) I <3 LOVE <3 my 85 1.8 (I think I might have mentioned this before? After last night, I almost don't like my 18-55 anymore!) The 85 was INCREDIBLE!!! 3) Being an event shooter, you have to think about the big picture. I spent most of my time with the whiffleball game, when I could have moved around (and gotten sweetie having a catch with birthday boy's lil bro!) Mental notes for the future.
Alas, with all the wonderful shots I got, they all contained people (young people, actually), and I don't want to post them online. So, I found some colorful cones I could crop and post without kids. I kinda blended two weeks' challenges in this selection: focus (the blue cone is in focus) and Photoshop since I had to crop and sharpen (and thanks to a thread on 2ps, I really see the difference now with the sharpen feature). So to my readers, I appologize that this is a boring picture. But my goal was to become a better photographer, and I've learned so much in the past 36 hours, so you'll just have to bear with me! :)

Tech info: Rebel XT, 85mm, 1/320, f/1.8, 1600 ISO, arena lighting.
Hehehe: I was just proofreading, and realized there were 3 mental notes I made for the future and three cones in the picture. Symbolism or mere coincidence? ;) lol
18 comments:
Your post is great!! I too love my 85...especially with weird indoor activity lights!
That is a great photo...I understand about not being able to post other peoples kids..I get to take photos on a weekly basis...I work in a preschool and I would love to share some of them..but I can't!
Cari
ooh cute! i love your primary colors!
Good for you for practicing and learning so much! I can't wait to see your pictures as you progress. It's been great to see your dedication to learning all of this!
I like how the last one is the one in focus. very vibrant colors.
well your colors look great! :) I totally get not posting pics of other people's kids... that's why mine is the only one ever on my blog!
Nice. That blue cone is really sharp.
Its great to hear that you love your 85...it sounds like you got some great practice wit it.
Good for you... Keep up the practicing. I m excited to see you bloom. Toni
Sounds like a fun time for all!
I haven't visited your blog in a few days...I love the color and DOF in that doll picture, and the birdbath one is cool too. I know what you mean about other people's kids--I know some very photogenic kids!
These are the 3 primary colors, nice job and very artistic. I too like my 85mm, it's pretty great.
That's great! Love the colors and loved reading what you wrote today!
I love the cones, great colors. Think the 85mm will be next on my list!!
Its nice to know you are learning, that is always a good sign. Too bad we can't see the shot with the kids, this is kind of a boring shot, so I don't really have any comments for you.
Travis
I really want to try out the 85mm. I think that's going to be my next purchase. Great shot by the way!
I like this. Very fun
great colours
Post a Comment