Sunday, January 20, 2008

Old Time Lady Liberty

I spent the weekend in Brooklyn, NY for a conference. On a break between meetings, a few of us decided to walk the Brooklyn Bridge since were were only about two blocks from it. The weather was cold and gloomy, and I only took my point & shoot (P&S) with me since I was trying to travel light this time. I switched into black & white mode (b/w) and got some GREAT shots. (The same gloomy sky that looked depressing in color looked SPECTACULAR in b/w!) The buildings across the river in Manhattan were glorious--I wish it wouldn't have been so stinkin' cold--I would have taken the time to set up some great shots!


Walking from Brooklyn into Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty is on your left, quite clearly. My lil Casio Exilim has a good zoom range. Between the b/w and the noise from the zoom, this one shot reminded me of old-time pictures from the early 1900's. So I performed a little Photoshop magic and took out the modern day hints--the port cranes and buoy--played a bit with levels and contrast and I think it turned out pretty good! (Unfortunately, I watermarked the heck out of it to protect the post!) I've included a cropped SOOC version and my edited version....CC welcome!


Tech info: Casio Exilim EX-S600, (camera determined: f/5.2, 18.6 mm, 1/160)

8 comments:

amazing grace said...

i've never been there IRL! NIce PS work!

Sharon said...

Nice!

Jess said...

Very cool! It's amazing how different she looks without all the modern stuff around!

Anonymous said...

That is a great photo!
Cari

Becky said...

I like your composition here.

Mom2Drew said...

Looks so wonderfully foggy!! I enjoy NYC and am looking forward to making a trip this fall. My DH works there, so I told him he's going to have to take me to a musical on broadway.

Tori said...

ooh... I love NYC! It's one of my favorite cities to visit!

Amy said...

I like the second one best, very nice! My sis lives in Brooklyn and I'm supposed to go see her in March, your photos make me wish it were sooner!