Thursday, January 10, 2008

Wowzers!

This is so cool.


There was a post on 2Ps about how to achieve a starburst effect by using a crazy-high aperature (and by extension, a crazy-slow shutter speed). I just had to try it. No special tools needed, just me and my lens (ok, I cheated and used my remote so I didn't get camera shake by pressing the button with such long exposures).


And here's what I got:

Tech info: Rebel XT, 50mm, 1.3 sec, f/22, 800 ISO, available light.



Tech info: Rebel XT, 50mm, 4.5 sec, f/22, 800 ISO, no light.


I experimented with different shutter speeds, black paper under and behind, lights on and off. I really had a good time with this! I know there's a flare spot, but I'll save that for the Photoshop challenge next week. ;)


And thanks to Travis who made the original post and suggested the technique! (Might have to try this with my nephew's birthday cake this weekend too!)

20 comments:

Mom2Drew said...

Wow...great job and what fun playing. thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This is also fun to try with Christmas tree lights. :-)

Margaret said...

Great job! I tried this with my Christmas tree lights and loved the effect!

sec510 said...

That's pretty cool. Maybe I will just have to start using the manual functions instead of my usual "pas" method! You're having so much fun, I'm getting jealous! :)

Danielle said...

I was so exctied when I found out about this technique. I stayed up til 1am taking pics of my tree. Lots of fun. Beautfful shot and may have to still your idea for dd's b-day in feb. You also reminded me of a shot I wanted to take. Thanks.

Angela2932 said...

Oh, this is beautiful! I was about to go to bed, but now i want to drag out my camera and try it!

Val said...

Looks great!

Sharon said...

These are wonderful! I love learning new things.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! That is SO awesome. I am going to have to give that a try.

Anonymous said...

that is great!
Cari

Becky said...

Isn't that fun?

me said...

great job, I did this with a street light a week or so ago. Its a fun technique

Liz said...

So fun! I love playing with longer exposure times. I really like the first photo is it super crisp and the starburst is clear too.

Anonymous said...

awesome!!!!!
tara

Tori said...

very cool! thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

very cool! i think i like the effect with the shorter ss.

now you'll just have to take what you've learned outside and capture the REAL thing with the sun! :)

Anonymous said...

Its always fun learning something new and I think they came out great

Kristi said...

Wow, these are great! I definitely want to try this!!

Tera Fraley said...

HOw neat!! Yeah I bet this would have been fun with our trees!!

Melissa said...

Very cool. Nice to know how to achieve that, thanks!