Sunday, August 31, 2008

Silly film people!


DISCLAIMER: I did not take this photo!

We bought an underwater disposable camera to take to Jamaica with us, figuring we were going to be near water and didn't want to risk handing the good camera to a total stranger near water (we have a waterproof video camera that also takes stills). I knew there were three frames left (frames....remember that? This camera still used FILM!), but I wanted to get the roll developed, so I dropped it off at our local big-box developer and figured they'd just develop it as-is and only print the things that resembled pictures. (NOTE: I was going to use one of the pro labs I deal with, but I also wanted these on CD and it was looking to be more hassle than it was worth; I've never had problems with this big-box chain before. Lesson learned.)

Apparently, you have to finish the roll for them to develop it. (I know this is not true, I used to shoot film and disposable cameras all the time and it was never a problem. But according to one of the managers, who "used to work at [another big-box's] one-hour developing," yes, you have to finish the roll. Whatever.) So the people at the developing place just took random photos. To finish MY roll of film. And then charged ME for the prints! The one above is actually of someone, the other two were of the ceiling lights. I went marching to the manager and asked her to refund me for those 3 prints. THREE sales clerks/managers later, and several stiffled eye rolls on their part, they refunded me the 39 cents. (And I got the attitude like, lady, it's 3 prints, what do you mean you want us to not charge you for them???)

Further rant: I had the pictures also put on a CD. They were all scanned up-side-down and in reverse order (so frame #1 is actually picture number 24!) Argh. NOT HAPPY!

Have I mentioned recently that I {{{heart}}} my Rebel? (And after this, digital in general!?)

On a sad note, many of the photos of us at the waterfall in Jamaica are blurry. I was soooo looking forward to gorgeous, once-in-a-lifetime pictures of my new husband and I at this gorgeous natural wonder. But I was kinda expecting less than perfection because the tourguide who took them was moving the camera away from his face as he was hitting the shutter button. ;(There are some good ones of things from the resort!)

SO....Here are some good ones ;)

Chris and I at the YS Falls.


Starfish are abundant in the seaweed just off the beach at Sandals Whitehouse.


On our last full day, we decided to try some of the water activities. Kevin, from Watersports, took us out on a Hobie Cat (catamaran) and showed Chris how to sail so "next time you can go without me." (Kevin took this picture. He was much better than the guy at YS!!!)


On our very last morning, we got up early and took a kayak out for a little while. A little ways off the beach is a reef. This shot was me putting the camera in the water and clicking....I couldn't lean over without risking a tipover, and I was NOT about to try to climb back into a kayak that far out, nor was I in the mood to swim back to shore. This is pretty good for a blind shot!


Kevin from Watersports also took this picture of us, finishing up our final adventure of our honeymoon. From here, we were off to the airport!

8 comments:

KRISTIE said...

that is so random that they put their pictures on the cd and printed them out for you, yuck!!!

looks like you had a nice honeymoon.

Reds said...

Looks like your honeymoon was beautiful! What a gorgeous setting!! Too weird that they took pics of themselves to finish off the film!! LOL!

Joanne Fowler said...

That is crazy that they took pics of themselves! lol But it looks like you had a great honeymoon!

CRS said...

Wow, your pics came out great! How sad is it that I have a waterproof disposable around (undeveloped) from our trip to Hawaai... before we were ENGAGED????????????????

Ps--DEFINITELY write a letter to the big box's corporate office. That is disgusting and SCARY!!!

Becky said...

What a bunch of doofuses. It looks like you had a really fun honeymoon, though. I tipped my kayak over on Friday, but I didn't have to swim back to shore because I did it when I was getting in at the shore--I still got soaked though. Yes, I am a klutz.

Jess said...

I would have been ticked about them charging you for THEIR random shots too! I'm glad you stuck to your guns and got your refund.. Grr.

AWESOME honeymoon shots- what a heavenly place to go. You are so lucky, I never got a honeymoon. I am jealous. ;)

Sharon said...

Looks like you had a great time!

Amy said...

You definitely got a couple of good shots...but what a bunch of dorks at the film developing place! Sheesh!