Saturday, August 30, 2008

A RAW kinda day

Today was a day I was thankful for RAW. We went crabbing near Fortescue, NJ (Delaware Bay, across from Dover, DE). The conditions and lighting would change so quickly...if I tried landscape shots facing one way, I was looking into the sun, the other way gave me shadows because the sun was at our backs. Looking down or at something specific was often darker and I had to quickly change settings (crabs are feisty little things, ya know!). There were some incredible clouds and periods where it looked like it would rain, but didn't. It was a perfect end-of-summer-day down the shore.

Well, kinda. 1) I am not a morning person. My husband knows that. He was trying to be very good after waking me up at 4:45am. 2) I don't like seafood. Don't like the smell, texture, taste, ew! (I am getting better about some fish, but crabs are still a no.) I was given permission to be a complete girly-girl today and not have to touch anything wet, stinky, or slimy. Fortunately I had my Rebel around my neck all day, so that provided another perfect excuse as to why I couldn't get too close to gross things. 3) I am a heat wimp. The sun came out and I'd get cranky (of course, see #1 for another possible explanation). And I got fried....face, arms, legs are sunburned and bright red. (Being uncomfortable doesn't help my crankiness, either.)

We were at our chosen bridge by about 7:15 am and I survived until about 1:30pm. I slept in a chair with a beach towel over me for the last hour or so, but Sweetie was good about it. He knew I didn't really want to be there but went because he wanted company on the drive. And we stopped for pizza on the way home. :)

Did I enjoy my day? Actually, yes, I did. I got some great pictures, I enjoyed watching them crab, and it really was beautiful weather. (And I used my 50mm for most of the day, with much success!!!)

Sunrise (used Lolly's Simple Pop)


(Used Lolly's Simple Pop, 50%)




The first catch of the day was big enough to keep!

The redish color on the claws means this is a she-crab.


Chris found a tiny baby crab at the water's edge. (He put it back to grow some more!)

8 comments:

Cindi Koceich said...

You're a great wife...and you really got some great photos of your day!!

Amy said...

Wow, those are some beautiful shots! I don't eat seafood either but I'd go crabbing for the photo ops!

Mom2Drew said...

Makes me wish I were near water and I'm not even a water lover. Lovely lines to these photos, really draws me in.

Becky said...

I love the peacefulness of your first photo and the lines and reflection of the bridge one. Glad you had a good day--I think?LOL

Jess said...

Wow, I totally agree with you on ALL COUNTS, but OMG these photos are so worth it! The landscapes are SO peaceful and serene... I so want to go there and just sit and take it all in... but maybe for a sunSET instead- I can definitely be awake enough to enjoy that, lol! :p

Lori said...

Love that bridge reflection photo!

Joanne Fowler said...

These are so calming! I especially love the one of the close up of the side of the dock(?). Good wife! lol

KRISTIE said...

i love the second one! it is so pretty. i hope it gets printed