Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thinking about Light

I was reading a post on 2P's the other day from a professional photographer in Hawaii.  This man is AMAZING and can take the ugliest setting and create gorgeous portraits there.  He mentioned "clean" light and I wasn't sure what that meant.  I asked, and as a true teacher should, gave me a little more information to keep searching but didn't quite give me the answer.  Long story short, I did a lot of reading last night, and while I still don't completely understand what he meant, I did get a good dose of learnin' in.  :)

We had a snow day today, so I got to hang out with my [now 13-month-old] son during the day with not much else planned.  I put on my 85mm for the first time in a long time and started shooting.  Since there was a lot of white outside, I opened the front/back doors and used that light.  Sometimes he was too close  and things got blown out.  Sometimes he was too far or around a corner of something and it was too dark (but I did get some quality use from my flash today).  It was a good learning session.

This picture was originally shot in color, but he had an orange shirt, with yellow socks, on a brown floor mat...it was scary.  I converted this manually and then played with some other things....this is FAR from a SOOC shot.  It is far from perfect, but it's a sweet mommy moment.  :)

6 comments:

Nicki said...

Very little is absolutely clear in photography - and so much is up to the photographer's or viewer's discretion. It is hard to believe your little one is already 13 months old - wow, didn't you just have him? :)

pat said...

I cannot believe he is a year-plus already!!! Whew--that zipped by! I really like the conversion; it fits the mood you were trying for, and with all those strong colors, this is a great option.

Janett said...

It is sweet, love that little diaper butt. :)

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

The conversion really gives it a sweet mood to it. Nice job.

Bobbi said...

He is a cutie. I love the light snow throws so its good to experiment and see what works, great job!

Reds said...

Love your b&w conversion!