Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Some from North Carolina

Note: most of these are not SOOC, so I'm not posting settings. Click on any of the images to see a bigger version of it.


There are wildfires burning in NC so many of the skies turned out grayer than I wanted because of the heat/humidity and smoke. It was amazing how far reaching the smoke was!


A breathtaking sunset on our drive down.


Some camera magic at Bodie Island Lighthouse. (And the attempts to get this shot were comical! Move to field in middle of nowhere. Change lens. Try again. Nope. Move back closer. Deal with un-straight horizon (actually adds to the effect, I think!)




Traveling down rt. 12 on the way to Hatteras, taken through the car window.




Cape Hatteras Lighthouse at it's new location, further inland and safe for another 150 years or so.





The path used to move the lighthouse. Simply amazing to think that such a feat is even possible! If you look for the horizontal road just above my watermark, there's a grassy section then sand. The lighthouse was originally up at the top of that sandy part, before the grass starts again. This was taken from the top of the lighthouse, all 257 steps up!







The stones mark where the lighthouse's foundation was originally (and each stone is engraved with names of Light Keepers at Hatteras).








Sweetie was trying to coax the sand crabs over my way so I could get a better shot. Watching him play with the crabs was among the funniest moments of our trip! :)

7 comments:

Reds said...

Love the lighthouse pick - really does add that the pic is crooked a bit!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I just ADORE the first shot of the light in the cloudy sky. Just unreal. I love it when the colors are light that.

pat said...

Neat shots! Love love lighthouse phtos. I really like the one where you have included the foundation at the original site. Your sunset shot is amazing--what a gorgeous sky!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Love the sunset. Great beach shots.

Becky said...

I had no idea that lighthouses could be moved. Love that one of you holding it up--love shots like that. I saw lots of people doing similar things at the Grand Canyon.

April said...

those are great shots..love the lighthouse pictures!

Anonymous said...

Brother playing with sandcrabs funnier than brother in hawaiian shirts??? I don't know about that! lol

All the trips to OBX and that's the first bit of history I've gotten on the movement of the lighthouse, other than "it was moved." Thanx for sharin'...rofl