Sunday, July 12, 2009

Time sure flies.

I can't believe I haven't blogged in 2 months. I was shooting like crazy this spring, with all the flowers and animals that were in my yard. Just didn't get around to posting them. Last night I converted over 400 pics from my card, and tonight started the process of weeding and posting the best ones. My motivation is the 100 or so shots from my recent trip to San Diego...and I promised I would deal with the old before the new. I figured I'd do a few at a time, so to not overwhelm my readers, and also to get you back in the habit of visiting regularly.


A robin's nest in the front yard. One of two we had this year!

The flowers of the beautiful weeping cherry tree in the front yard. (The tree actually weeps now that we had a sucker branch cut off! So pretty!)

A pinwheel I bought for $1 at ACMoore on a whim. Made for a very fun (read: challenging) shot! I'm such a kid.

This is perhaps one of my favorite shots this season. First, we stalked this poor family. They built the nest right outside our backdoor and it made for a very interesting spring. (See prior posts with eggs and first sight of the baby.) DH and I tried multiple times to get pics of the momma/poppa feeding the babies (and I do have a few but they're not so sharp) I thought this was just fantastic. There was a third bird, but we only saw it pop up a few times, and we think something got to them, because the nest was empty soon after this shot was taken. Finally, this may be one of the only clear shots I have of an adult robin....they always seem to come out digital-ly, even with my best lenses.

My tulips survived the animals this year!!! They were so spectacularly pretty! These suffered a bit in some early heat, but I miss them already!

Lily of the Valley might just be one of my all-time favorite flowers. I was lucky to have them all over the yard when I bought my house, and they spread like mad, so there's lots and lots for me to enjoy. Walking past the beds, the scent is intoxicating. I pick some and put them in a small vase next to my bed (that's probably horrible for me, since I hear they're poisonous, but hey, I fall asleep and wake up happy, so it can't be too bad!)

Another tulip. Loved the pink ones this year.

The inside of an iris. These things are all along the fenceline between my house and my neighbor's. They really need to be lifted and divided and spaced out better. But I'm a chicken because I don't want to kill them. My friend MaryAnn needs to come give me an iris lesson!

I attempted a "3-Season cutting garden" on the side of the house this year. Limited success. I'm hoping next year things will fill in and it will look a little less pathetic. (Although DH says he's got other ideas for that bed. ?!??!!?) Here's one of the things that actually came up. No idea what it is. I just planted what came in the kit and hoped it would look nice! :)

That's all for the moment. Have no fear, though, there are LOTS more coming!!! Check back often!

10 comments:

Chell said...

gld to see you posting again. I played a catch up with blogging too. I have a few more to do. Love the robin picture.

Cindi Koceich said...

These are all wonderful!!
the one with the hungry baby birds is precious!!! Love it!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Nice that you got around to posting again. Love the color and DOF on the red tulip, the cherry blossom is so pretty, How awesome how you caught the birdies with their mouths open.

PierKiss said...

Excellent photos! I love the one of the robin with the babies, and the 1st pink tulip. They're great! :)

Karen said...

Glad to see you're back. There aren't many blogs that I follow so I really enjoyed the pics! I LOVE the robin pic! I can't wait to show my mom - she has a thing with birds. I can't wait to see the rest!

Shanna said...

Very nice. I love pictures of cherry blossoms...I don't know what it is about them...

Lauren Hartman said...

Wow, what a fun selection of photos. I think my favorite is the one of the robin and babies, great capture!

Steph said...

Great shots! The baby birds are too cute.

Angela2932 said...

Welcome back! What a nice set of "teaser" photos! Keep them coming! These are great!

Nicki said...

Great array of photos to welcome you back to the wild wonderful world of blogging. You have some lovely floral shots and a timely capture of the momma bird with her babies eager for dinner.